Indian sports in 2016
- Under the captaincy of Virat Kohli India grabbed the numero uno position in Test cricket with three straight series win that included a record 18-match unbeaten record. Kohli also scored a record three double-centuries in Tests in a calendar year and the first Indian captain to achieve the feat.
- Vijender Singh clinched the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight title and then went on to defend it. Since turning professional, the former Olympic bronze medalist has been undefeated in eights bouts claiming two KOs, 5 TKOs and one by unanimous decision that led him to the title.
- Tennis queen Sania Mirza became the first Indian woman to hold the No.1 ranking after winning the Volvo Car Open. Partnering with Martina Hingis, she won her 6th Grand Slam title winning the doubles title at the Australian Open in January.
- Wrestler Sakshi became the first woman wrestler from India to bag an Olympic medal when she earned a dramatic come-from-behind win over Kyrgysztan’s Aisuluu Tynybekova to script history.
- Sindhu made history becoming the first women Indian athlete to claim an individual silver medal at the Olympics. Later in the year, Sindhu won her first China Open Super Series and then finished second at the Hong Kong Super Series.